Pages

Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm a Hairy Red-headed Suburbanite

I'm not bold and wild, I'm more simple and traditional country style, with my own wierd twist every now and again.
It's kinda like being a redhead. You go along living life as normal and predictable, and then WHAM in anger you lash out and show many colors! That's kind of how my house looks, too. It's calm and peaceful, but scattered throughout are funky little items that claim, I'm not the same as everyone else, really I'm not!
I mean seriously. Just because I'm a mom of 3, drive a mini-van, live in a suburb, shop at Wal-mart even though I prefer Target, and my ultimate dream vacation is to take my kids to Disneyworld in Florida, does not make me predictable. Or does it?
I'm just normal and average. Sometimes I wonder if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I'm like everyone else. I have a lot of friends, I make friends easily, most people like me (or pretend to anyway), I can easily find what I'm looking for, don't stand out in a crowd. To me that's good. I also don't know what my "legacy" will be, feel a bit like cattle at times, feel controlled by society and it's mores, and I don't stand out in a crowd. Except for the red hair. These are bad things to me.
I want to be unique, and have people think I'm really cool for wearing birkenstocks, not shaving my legs, and living close to nature. Or not enjoying going to the movies, but prefering to rock in a chair in my backyard. Or for chatting way too much (that's my absolute favorite thing to do in the whole world. chatchatchatchat) I want to be ME and not feel the pressure to be the same as everyone else.
But I find such comfort in familiarity. I find I truly like to blend and be one with my community. I want to be accepted, appreciated, and well-known. I want to know the latest news and dress like it's at least the year 2000. This is important to me as well.
So, I'll still shop at Wal-Mart because I can't afford Target, drive my minivan, and plan a vacation to Disneyworld for someday but I'll be bringing my birkenstocks and hairy legs along the way..............

No comments: